Seasonal employees and paycheck checkups; When to file an amended tax return

Bookmark and Share Banner
e-News for Small Business May 23, 2018

Tax Resources for Small Business

Small Business and Self-Employed One-Stop Resource

Small Business Forms & Instructions

Small Business Events

Small Business Webinars

e-File for Businesses and Self-Employed

Businesses with Employees

Small Business Products

Self-Employed Individuals

S Corporations

Other Resources

Find it Fast!

All Forms and Instructions

Filing Your Taxes

Make a Payment

Taxpayer Advocate Service

Retirement Plans

Tax Information for Charities
and Other Non-Profits

State Links

SSA/IRS Reporter

IRS Social Media



Issue Number:  2018-17

Inside This Issue

  1. Encourage seasonal and part-year workers to check tax withholding amount soon
  2. Amended tax returns can fix errors on already filed returns

1.  Encourage seasonal and part-year workers to check tax withholding amount soon

The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act made major changes to the tax law, which could affect how much an employee needs to have their employer withhold from their pay. Business owners should encourage seasonal and part-year staff to visit the Withholding Calculator on soon to do a "paycheck checkup."

The calculator asks about the dates of employment and accounts for a part-year employee's shorter employment rather than assuming that their weekly tax withholding amount would be applied to a full year. If the calculator results suggest the employee needs to change their withholding, the employee should complete a new Form W-4 and submit it to their employer as soon as possible.

More information is available in the May 9, 2018 IRS news release: Seasonal, part-year workers urged to check tax withholding amount.

Back to top

2.  Amended tax returns can fix errors on already filed returns

Business owners and self-employed individuals can take advantage of the amended return process to correct any mistakes discovered after filing. This includes errors associated with filing status or reported income, credits or deductions. The instructions for the Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, list more reasons to amend a return.

Amended returns should not be filed to fix math errors because the IRS will correct those. Nor is an amended return required if a required form or schedule was not included with the filed return. The IRS will mail requests for additional information, if needed.

For more information on when to file an amended return, visit the IRS Interactive Tax Assistant page regarding Should I File an Amended Return? on

Back to top

Thank you for subscribing to this IRS e-mail service.

This message was distributed automatically from the mailing list e-News For Small Business. Please Do Not Reply To This Message.

This email was sent to by: Internal Revenue Service (IRS) · Internal Revenue Service · 1111 Constitution Ave. N.W. · Washington DC 20535 GovDelivery logo